Old Man Winter is here once again, and ice, snow, and wind can wreak havoc on your home and your budget .
Standard homeowners insurance policies can cover many of the disasters that result from winter weather, but it’s always better to minimize the potential risks! Follow these tips to help prepare your home for the bitter cold.
- Know where your pipes are located and how to shut the water off. Consider shutting your water off if you will be out of town for several days.
- Clean out your gutters and install gutter guards.
- Trim trees and remove dead branches that may snap under the weight of snow and ice.
- Repair steps and handrails.
- Keep sidewalks and entrances to your home clear of snow and ice.
- Keep your garage doors closed.
- Add extra insulation to attics, basements, and around pipes. This helps guard against costly ice dams and pipe freezes.
- Check your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors; replace any battery or battery-backup systems as needed.
- Have your heating system professionally serviced.
- Move combustible items away from all heat sources.
Even though you take every precaution, problems can still arise. Atchue Insurance Agency is here for you! Give us a call at (508) 755-5200 or visit us online at https://atchue.com/ to review your homeowners insurance policy and ensure you’re protected for anything winter can throw at you.